All standing committees of the upper chamber will be inaugurated on Wednesday
President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan , disclosed this at the resumption of the plenary session of the Senate on Tuesday
He explained that the decision to inaugurate the committees was taken by the senators during a closed-door session which lasted for an hour.
Lawal Said further said: “The Senate in a closed session deliberated on issues bothering on the Senate and National Assembly in general. The Senate also resolved to inaugurate its committees on Wednesday in plenary.”
The Senate will also on Wednesday debate the recent partial closure of land borders by the Federal Government.
Coming under a point of order, Senator Adamu Aliero (APC, Kebbi Central), during the plenary, drew the attention of his colleagues to the positive impact of the recent policy, especially on smuggling.
He therefore, urged the upper chamber that the matter be extensively debated during its next sitting.
The lawmaker’s request was unanimously supported by Senators following a voice vote put forward by the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan.
The committees, their chairpersons and vice-chairpersons are as follows:
- Agriculture – Abdullahi Adamu, Bima Enagi.
- Airforce – Bala Ibn Na’Allah, Michael Nnachi.
- Anti-corruption and Financial Crimes – Suleiman Kwari, Aliyu Wamakko.
- Appropriation – Barau Jibrin, Stella Oduah.
- Army – Ali Ndume, Abba Moro.
- Aviation – Dino Melaye, Bala Na’Allah.
- Banking, Insurance and other Financial Institutions – Uba Sani, Orji Uzor Kalu.
- Capital Market – Ibikunle Amosun, Binos Yero
- Communications – Oluremi Tinubu, Ibrahim Bomai.
- Corporation and Integration in Africa and NEPAD – Chimaroke Nnamani, Yusuf Yusuf.
- Culture and Tourism – Rochas Okorocha, Ignatius Longjohn.
- Customs, Excise and Tarrifs – Francis Alimekhena, Francis Fadahunsi.
- Defence – Aliyu Wamakko, Istifanus Gyang.
- Diaspora and NGOs – Bashiru Ajibola, Ibrahim Oloriegbe.
- Downstream Petroleum Sector – Sabo Mohammed, Philip Aduda.
16.Drugs and Narcotics – Hezekaiah Dimka, Chimaroke Nnamani.
- Ecology Climate Change – Mohammad Gusau, Olubunmi Adetunmbi.
- Education (Basic and Secondary) – Ibrahim Geidam, Akon Eyakenyi
- Employment, Labour and Productivity – Ben Umajumogwu, Kabiru Barkiya.
- Environment – Ike Ekweremadu, Ibrahim Hadejia.
- Establishment and Public Service – Ibrahim Shekarau, Barinadas Mpigi.
- Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions – Patrick Akinyelure, Ahmed Babba-Kaita.
- FCT – Abubakar Kyari, Tolu Odebiyi.
24.Federal Character and Intergovernmental Affairs – Danjuma Laah, Yahaya Gumau.
- FERMA – Gershom Bassey, Kabir Barkiya.
- Finance – Adeola Olamilekan, Isa Jibrin.
- Foreign Affairs – Mohammed Bulkachuwa, Ignatius Longjohn.
- Gas Resources – James Manager, Biobaraku Wangagra.
- Health (Secondary and Tertiary) – Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Betty Apiafi.
- Housing – Sam Egwu, Lola Ashiru.
- ICT and Cybercrime – Yakubu Useni, Abdulfatai Buhari.
- INEC – Kabiru Gaya, Sahabi Ya’u.
- Industries – Adebayo Osinowo.
- Information and National Communication – Danladi Sankara, Aishatu Ahmed.
- Interior -Kashim Shettima, Diri Douye.
- Interparliamentary Affairs – Godiya Akwashiki, Abba Moro.
- Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters – Michael Bamidele, Emmanuel Oker-Jev.
- Land Transport – Abdulfatai Buhari, Nicholas Tofowomo.
- Legislative Compliance – Oriolowo Adeyemi, Sabi Abdullahi.
- Local Content – Teslim Folarin, Sabi Abdullahi.
- Local and Foreign Debts – Clifford Ordia, Bima Enagi.
- Marine Transport – Danjuma Goje, Adebayo Osinowo.
- Media and Public Affairs – Adedayo Adeyeye, Akwashiki Godiya.
- National Identity and National Population – Sa’idu Alkali, Suleiman Kwari.
- National Planning – Olubunmi Adetunmbi, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.
- National Security and Intelligence – Abdullahi Gobir, Chukwuka Utazi.
- Navy – George Sekibo, Elisha Abbo.
- Niger Delta – Peter Nwabaoshi, Bulus Amos.
- Petroleum Upstream – Albert Akpan, Ifeanyi Ubah.
- Police affairs – Dauda Jika, Abubakar Tambuwal.
- Poverty Alleviation and Social Investment Program – Lawal Gumau, Michael Nnachi.
- Power -Gabriel Suswam, Enyinnaya Abaribe.
- Primary Health Care and Communicable Diseases – Chuwkuka Utazi, Sadiq Umar.
- Privatisation – Theodore Orji, Oriolowo Adeyemi.
- Public Accounts – Mathew Urghohide, Ibrahim Hassan.
- Public Procurement – Shuaibu Lau, Lola Ashiru.
- Rules and business – Sadiq Umar, Yahaya Abdullahi.
- Science and Technology – Uche Ekwunife, Robert Boroffice.
- Senate Services – Sani Musa, Lawal Hassan.
- Solid Minerals, Mine, Steel Development and Metallurgy – Tanko Almakura, Oriolowo Adeyeye.
- Sports and Social Development – Joseph Garba
- State and Local Government – Lekan Mustapha, Francis Onyewuchi.
- Special duties – Yusuf Yusuf, Biobaraku Wangagra.
- SDGs – Aisha Dahiru, Lekan Mustapha
- Tertiary Institution and TETFUND – Ahmed Baba Kaita, Sandy Onor.
- Trade and Investment – Rose Oko
- Water Resources – Bello Mandiya, Christopher Ekpeyong.
- Women Affairs and Youth Development – Betty Apiafi, Aishatu Dahiru.
- Works – Adamu Aliero, Emmanuel Bwacha.