President Muhammadu Buhari has forwarded the name of former Inspector-General of Police, Musiliu Smith, as Chairman of the Police Service Commission, PSC to the Senate for approval
Smith will succeed former IGP and Chairman, PSC, Mike Okiro. appointed.
Buhari also appointed five others as members of the PSC.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, who read a letter from President Buhari on Thursday for the upper chamber to confirm the new appointee, also said five other members of the PSC have also been forwarded for approval
“In compliance with the provisions of section 153 (1) and 154(1) of the 1999 constitution of the Federral Republic of Nigeria, as amended, I write to forward for confirmation by the senate the underlisted names as the chairman and members of Police Service Commission (PSC). I attach here, with their CVs.
1. Musliu Smith CFR (chairman, South West)
2. Justice Clara Ogunbiyi (Full-time commissioner, North East)
3. Lawal Bawa AIG Rt, CON (Full-time commissioner, North West)
4. Mohammed Najatu (Member, North West)
5. Braimoh Austin (Member, South South)
6. Barr. Rommy Mom (Member, North Central)
7. Dr Nkemka Jombo-Ofo (Member, South East)
“While thanking immensely, in anticipation of the early consideration and confirmation of the above appointments by the distinguished senators, please accept, Mr Senate president, the assurance of my highest consideration,” the letter read.
Okiro had been serving as Chairman, PSC since May 2013 when he was appointed by former President, Goodluck Jonathan.