- The Peoples Democratic Party PDP has described the steps taken on restructuring by the ruling All Progressives Congress as a mere lip service to matter of public importance
Just as they said the Federal Government’s decision to set up a Committee to address the issues of herdsmen killings is a pretentious approach to a matter that requires firm action and leadership by the President in line with his oath of office to protect all Nigerians irrespective of creed, tribe and political affiliation
The party in a communiqué issued at the end of National Working Council and Governors of the party signed by Governor Ayo Fayose, chairman Governors Forum and Prince Uche Secondus, National Chairman of the Party call on President Buhari to come out clean on the herdsmen killings and address the nation on how to end the carnage.
“The President must take responsibility on the protection of lives and property of Nigerians which is the most important of his responsibilities”
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC PARTY (PDP) NATIONAL WORKING COMMITTEE (NWC) AND IT’S GOVERNORS’ FORUM
The Members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee (NWC) and it’s Governors’ Forum met in Asaba, Delta State on Sunday, 4th February, 2018 to examine the state of the nation.
Our Communique reads:
- We strongly condemn the unabated killings across the country. We call on Mr. President to come out clean on the herdsmen killings and address the nation on how to end the carnage. The President must take responsibility on the protection of lives and property of Nigerians which is the most important of his responsibilities. We believe that the Federal Government’s decision to set up a Committee to address the issues of herdsmen killings is a pretentious approach to a matter
- The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has been the author of restructuring and this was further expressed in the Report of the 2014 National Conference. The All Progressive Congress (APC) as a later day convert of restructuring is merely paying lip service to a matter of national importance. However, we have mandated our members in the National Assembly to immediately commence the process of initiating a Bill to address issues bothering on restructuring.
- We urge Mr. President to henceforth direct the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to adhere to the Rule of Law by obeying Court judgements and orders such as the one involving the Ekiti State Government against EFCC and restrain itself from further political intimidation and harassment of known or perceived political opponents. We commend the judiciary for their commitment to the enthronement of constitutional democracy in the face of intimidation and harassment.
- We condemn in strong terms the massive corruption going on in the management of fuel subsidy regime which the Federal Government had declared non existent while billions of Naira are deducted monthly at Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) meetings.
- The PDP states and local governments are vehemently opposed to the unilateral withdrawal of USD1Billion from the Excess Crude Account by the Federal Government under any guise. We want to state unequivocally that neither the Governors’ Forum nor the Federal Executive Council has the power of appropriation of Federation Accounts, as such powers reside with the National and State Assemblies.
- We commend members of our party for their unalloyed support. We reiterate that our repositioned party is prepared for the 2019 elections and will ensure that all Nigerians aspiring to elective offices are free to contest on the platform of the PDP. We want to assure that no established organ of the party is allowed to align with any presidential aspirant. We thank the people and government of Delta State for playing host to this all important meeting.
Prince Uche Secondus Ayo Fayose
National Chairman Chairman PDP Governors’ Forum Nigeria